For starters, medical devices cover a wide range of categories. Whether it is a Single Use Instruments or a reusable item, it can be any equipment or piece of equipment, or an instrument, having medical applications, designed and used in the assessment, monitoring, diagnosis, and treatment of patients.
Single Use Instruments
As mentioned earlier, the adoption of Single Use Instruments reduces the risk of cross-contamination. It saves time and reduces reprocessing costs. Just think of the significant implications in terms of cost, patient safety, and recovery time. By switching to sterile, single-use medical devices, healthcare professionals would virtually eliminate these risks.
Reusable medical devices also pose problems related to their maintenance, storage, and reuse. Recycling and sterilization often only make these problems worse. Many surgical instrument failures are due to healthcare professionals not following manufacturers’ reprocessing and handling instructions. The most common errors are:
- Lack of sinks for soaking, washing, and rinsing instruments;
- Not having all the manufacturer’s instructions at hand;
- Lack of thorough inspection of instruments before or after reprocessing;
- Do not use inspection lamps or lenses;
- Assembly of hinged instruments in the closed position;
- Do not store sterile items in a separate, controlled area.
By adopting single-use instruments, medical professionals effectively eliminate all the aforementioned problems.
Single Use Instruments in Gynaecology
Surgical instruments are tools that allow surgeons to open soft tissues. They are also used to remove bone, and dissect and isolate the lesion. Also, these instruments are very helpful when it comes to removing or obliterating abnormal structures as a treatment. Larger tools are used for initial exposure and finer tools for delicate structures.
Disposable instruments in gynecology are numerous and respond to different types of intervention (non-exhaustive list):
- Staple removers: This allows you to remove surgical staples quickly and safely.
- Halstead hemostatic forceps: scissor-type surgical forceps that are generally used for treatment.
- Sterile lubricating gel: used to perform a vaginal examination or to place a speculum;
- IUD insertion set: a complete single-use IUD insertion set that gynecologists and midwives often use. It consists of gynecological instruments angled Cheron forceps, straight Pozzi forceps, CH14 hydrometer and thread-cutting scissors.
- Adson forceps: straight sterile forceps usually made of stainless steel, for surgery.
- Iridectomy scissors: scissors used for minor surgery, this is a surgical instrument that can also be found in a dissection kit.
- Identification bracelet for babies: essential for maternity, the identification bracelet for babies is a pediatric medical accessory allowing each birth to be dissociated. This is an important element if the baby has to be placed in an incubator.
- Vaginal or gynecological speculum: for perfect visualization, it is better to choose transparently. Different sizes are available to adapt to body types. A rounded tip is ideal for a comfortable procedure.
- Pozzi forceps: straight or angled, these medical forceps are essential in gynecology, especially for interventions in the cervix or uterine cavity. In polyamide or stainless steel, its use facilitates the introduction of medical instruments into the uterus in complete safety.
- Clamp cutters: these pliers are used to cut the umbilical clamp and therefore a mandatory instrument for midwives.
- Hysterometers: it is an instruments used for gynecological interventions. It is used to measure uterine depth.
- Long forceps: these forceps are used for disinfection operations of the cervix before surgery. In particular, it facilitates the insertion of the IUD.
- Suture thread removal set: offered in a sterile blister pack, this surgery set generally consists of gauze pads, plastic anatomical forceps, and a thread-cutting blade.
- Implant removal set: The care set, is used in the removal of subcutaneous contraceptive implants.
- Endometrial biopsy probe: this single-use medical instrument is used to take histological samples from the endometrium. A probe specially designed for patients with a narrow cervix.
- Magill forceps: medical equipment used to remove a foreign body from the airways. It is also used to perform tracheal intubation or to insert a tube.
- Dressing set: for small, large, or chronic wounds, dressing sets are essential for any medical intervention. There are some for every use.
- Suture set: intended for nursing care, the set consists of a thread-cutting blade, gauze pads, and anatomical forceps.
- Cord care set: there are different kinds that are used in childbirth care. Some sets are used to perform episiotomy care and sutures.
- Cheron forceps: gynecological forceps, it is used in the context of disinfection of the cervix.
- Thread-cutting scissors: scissors intended to cut the threads of the IUD after it has been inserted.
- Episiotomy or Delestre scissors: medical equipment used to make an incision as part of an episiotomy.
- IUD removal forceps (Therrum forceps): gynecological forceps for hooking an IUD if it does not have threads.
- Swabs: this is similar to a medical cotton swab intended to collect biological samples with dry use or application of a liquid solution. Biopsy forceps, Cheron forceps, specula.
Whether you are in a doctor’s office or a hospital, basic gynecological instruments generally include:
- Forceps & Clamps: For uterine and cesarean deliveries, hysterectomies, and other obstetric and gynecological surgeries.
- Cervical dilators: To stretch the cervical wall and dilate the cervical muscles.
- Vaginal Specula: Used in procedures such as Pap smear.
- Punch forceps – Used for premalignant lesions of the cervix.
However, this would not be sufficient without the support of certain ultrasound devices, for example, bladder scanners, or even neonatal and pediatric sensors. At Eloi Médical, you will find a wide choice of equipment and instruments for diagnoses and interventions in complete safety.
Eloi Medical, Supplier of Single Use Instruments
At Eloi Médical, we provide a range of gynecological instruments for gynecologists and obstetricians who treat the female reproductive system: biopsy forceps, Cheron forceps, gynecological speculum, gynecology scissors, suture sets, and dressing sets Our gynecology instruments are designed for the management of the female reproductive system, pregnancy, and childbirth. Gynecology instruments can be used for procedures such as colposcopy, electric loop excision procedure (LEEP), endometrial biopsy, IUD placement, dilation and curettage (D&C), ligation of fallopian tubes, and ovarian cystectomy. A cost-effective and reliable alternative to traditional reusable instruments, our single-use obstetrical and gynecological instruments help reduce direct costs, reprocessing costs, and administrative overhead.